Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Is ok to reuse Gasket which was just install ?

QUESTION:
I have a 1963 Pontiac lemans 185. I just finish rebuilding motor small four cylinder. After putting the engine together I thought I made a mistake. Which caused me remove again the head, intake manifold, and valley pan. I was very upset that I push back to disassy as I worked so hard to product good product. I used copper top on both gaskets, head and intake. The push to disassy was bad choice as discover that my head gasket was install correctly. My question is ok that I reused the gaskets as they were never ran on engine. The intake gasket did take few

ANSWER:
Once head gaskets are torqued down they should not be reused even if the engine has not been run. Once the gaskets compress from torquing, trying to reuse them will ususlly result in a leak. The same rule would apply for the intake manifold.
Don't get me wrong here, some have done it and had sucess but many gaskets have failed when reused. I would not suggest reusing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment