Friday, August 29, 2008

the clutch pedal stuck down to the floor.

QUESTION:
2004 Mini Cooper S, I started driving and the clutch pedal stuck down to the floor. I could not shift gears. I was able to pull the pedal up with my foot and drive the rest of the day with no problems. Today, it stuck to the floor again and I had to pull over because I could not shift gears. Once again, I could push the pedal back up with my foot and make it home. However, my husband notices something leaking when I pushed the clutch in and out.

ANSWER:
The leak you are seeing when you push the clutch is hydraulic fluid. The clutch is similar to the brake system in that they both require hydraulic pressure to be actuated. A leak such as the one you are seeing will definitely prevent you from being able to shift gears. Check the fluid level in the clutch reservoir which is under the hood close to the fire wall. If the fluid is low, you need to find out where the leak is coming from. The leak will either come from the clutch reservoir, the clutch cylinder which is attached to the pedal on the engine side of the fire wall, the slave cylinder which is in the transmission bell housing, or one of the lines that connects these components.

No comments:

Post a Comment